We’re looking for an energetic and entrepreneurial individual to join our efforts to grow our business and achieve our social mission. Although we’re a small, lean, and early-stage social enterprise, our product, SurveyCTO, has already been used by thousands of teams in roughly 150 countries.
For this position, we’re looking for an all-around digital designer to join our technical team in creating amazing user experiences for our customers. The ideal candidate should possess superior UI, web, and graphic-design skills with the ability to design for user needs. We’re looking for a designer with an eye for clean, functional, and aesthetically-pleasing design who can help us continue to build products that are user-friendly and intuitive to a worldwide user base. The ideal candidate would also have interest in (if not prior experience in) user experience design (UX).
- Sketch graphical elements, create storyboards, and wireframe UI ideas as needed.
- Iterate designs based on feedback from the product and development teams, partners, and users.
- Implement production-ready graphical designs using Adobe products (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.).
- Implement production-ready UI designs in HTML/CSS.
- Help to establish and promote brand, graphical, and user-interface standards.
Ideal candidate profile
- Established background in design.
- Experience with Adobe graphic-design tools.
- Experience with HTML/CSS for web and/or UI design.
- Experience with wireframing and storyboarding.
- Up-to-date with the latest digital design trends, techniques, and technologies.
- Detail-oriented (e.g., cares if any pixel is out of place, always ensures that margins are consistent and centered elements are truly centered).
- Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively.
- Some familiarity with developing-country settings a plus.
- Preference for working in a low-structure, fast-paced start-up environment.
- Obsessive about doing high-quality work.
- Passionate about improving the world through one’s work.
Location and hours
This is a full-time position based out of Dobility’s headquarters in Cambridge, MA. However, those who live outside the Boston/Cambridge area could work off-site 3-4 days/week.
Salary and benefits
Dobility offers competitive salary and benefits packages. The specifics will depend on the applicant’s location and level of prior experience.
About the organization
Dobility, the company behind SurveyCTO, was founded by Dr. Christopher Robert, an early tech entrepreneur and CTO who left technology to live overseas, train in economics and public policy, then research and teach at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government. His experience on the ground made him realize that the research and development sectors badly needed better technology to gather and manage data. Dobility’s mission is to help ensure that high-quality data is affordable, so that more decisions are based on good data (vs. bad data or no data).
Dobility differentiates itself in the market by providing unmatched reliability, affordability, and customer support. It is a fast-moving company with a motivated team that has spent time in the field to understand customers’ pain points first-hand.
About the product
SurveyCTO is a survey and data-collection platform designed for the specific demands of doing research in developing countries and other challenging settings. It can be used online or offline, on web, tablet, or phone. Most often it’s used by surveyors in the field to perform guided interviews with survey respondents (“Computer Assisted Personal Interviews”). It protects against fraud by recording how long surveys take, audio recording when suspicious behavior is flagged, and employing statistical algorithms to look for anomalies in the data. It’s also an extraordinarily flexible platform that allows for advanced survey logic, pre-loading existing data into survey questions, and automatically merging incoming data into back-office applications like Excel or Stata.
SurveyCTO has been used to collect millions of survey submissions in roughly 150 countries by organizations such as the World Bank, Save the Children, Clinton Health Access Initiative, Innovations for Poverty Action, and many others. You can see other examples of organizations we work with on our website.
To apply, please fill out this online application form.
You will need to provide a resume or CV, and you will be asked some questions about your experience.
Dobility is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.